Saturday, October 27, 2007

Popenguene


Last weekend we had a brief getaway at the beautiful beach of Popenguene. We all piled into an al hum (they are basically small busses that will pack in as many people as possible. It's pretty amazing; usually there's at least one guy hanging off the back holding the door shut, and our struggled when going uphill, but we made it!) and headed out of Thies for the first time. After the craziness of training and constant existance in a bustling city, unloading into a quiet town with an idyllic stretch of beach was like walking into Paradise. As soon as I dropped my stuff off I got into my bikini and it didn't come off all night! The breeze felt so good on my bare skin, which usually sweats all day in clothes covering it from shoulders to calves, and the ocean was refreshingly cool during the day, and felt warm at night. I bobbed around in the waves, enjoying the freedom of being away from everything. Needless to say we had a wonderful time! One of the coolest things I saw was a group of fishermen on the beach, hauling in a net. It was maybe ten in the morning, and there was a huge group of people there helping to pull the net in, which was writhing with fish. They flashed in the sun, almost blinding. Once onshore, people grabbed armfulls of the dying fish and tossed them into sorted piles. The smaller ones went to the cluster of sea birds that hopped on the sidelines, waiting for handouts. After the mini-vacation, I felt totally refreshed and had a really good week. I reached the minimum language requirement, which is nice because now I can concentrate on improving rather than just making the grade. Somehow, the days positively flew by this week! I don't know where the time went. Lots of other Trainees are going to Dakar this weekend, but I'm staying in Thies witht he family. My host sisters braided my hair again this afternoon, and it feels so good to have the wind blow across my scalp instead of feel the sweat pooling on my neck. Tomorrow my sister is going to teach me how to cook ceeb u jen (rice and fish), a traditional lunch of Senegal.

2 comments:

Maman said...

How wonderfully you write. Post the pix of you in red gown for the karite. Beautiful. Irish is barking, boys off to RHS w/o fights - yay. Mr.P well-seated for USMA. I think it's going to happen after all.God go with him.John booed last week for strong adherence that there is Islamist-Fascist movement in USA (it was a natl week of awareness). He may have a point. Dad pulled 2 allnighters to finish up his Masters work. He's The Man. And I go to Decatur this w/e for annual. How I miss you. Your Paris photo-shoot pix sits next to bedside now. Always a last look before nodding off.

Anonymous said...

Abigail, it's me Mandy. I have finally had a chance to unbury myself from my mountain of work to log into my home computer. I have been reading with interest your stories and looking at the pics. I know you are having an adventure of a lifetime. I traveled in Africa after I graduated from business school and just loved it. I also have many friends who are serving there right now. One in particular has now decided that he can never return to Washington DC after experiencing the godliness and simplicity that he experienced in Africa. What a way to start the next phase of your life. Let me know if there are any sundries I can mail you at Christmas. I am sure the pickings at the store are slim.