Saturday, October 6, 2007

Business as usual

It is just business as usual here at the training center. Class, culture, health, more class, technical, and lanuage class again. I have Wolof coming out my ears, though unfortunately not out of my mouth. Hehehe, I'm a genius - that is such an amazing sentance! Akon is currently playing in the background at the Internet cafe. The Senegalese-American (verdicts are mixed here as to his true naitonality) is ever-present; I hear Akon ALL the time. Luckily his music, from what I've heard, is pretty good. Though I wish I could listen to some Sugarland or something country once in a while. Really, though, Wolof is going well; slowly, but it's coming along. We finally did something agriculture-related this week: we tilled a little plot in the training center and sowed some crops to care for and observe for our next month here. We have millet, sorgum, corn, cowpea, and peanut, of which the millet and sorgum have already sprouted. They are just tiny green shoots at the moment, but pretty soon we wil have to weed and water them. Traditionaly, things are planted at the beginning of the rainy season, and whatever rain falls during those few months is all the water they get for the year, so it is important to have varieties that will finish their life cycle before it gets too dry for them. We visited a very neat, clean little village earlier this week to look at the ields in production. It was humbling, for me, to see how the farmers here have learned to grow food in, essentially, sand, or occasdionally clay. There is no rich, black soil here like we have back home. It is reddish, grainy and poor-looking, but nevertheless fertile. I have a lot to learn about farming here, that's for sure. Nothing is quite like the greeting we recievedin these villages. As our bus pulled up and we sweaty Americans spilled out, we were surrounded by children grinning and greeting us - I could respond to that, in part, with my clumsy Wolof - and then the women greeted us also, with huge smiles and excitement all round. It's something that just doesn't happen in the US, really, to have strangers welcome you and help you learn their lanuage, and really truly want you there. It is a good feeling. Today, walking with a fellow Trainee to the Internet cafe, an adorable little boy was goiing our way, so we started chatting (in French and Wolof) about little things - school, his family, our names. We just strolled off together, talking when we felt like it, and laughing a lot. That's the kind of thing that happens here fairly frequently. Some of the kids in my neighborhood know who I am now, and they'll call to me - "Fatou Diallo!" as I walk home. I regret that I don't have more time to spend with my host family. They are really great, but by the time I get home from training it is almost time for "ndogu" - breaking fast - and then I do homework usually, maybe sit with them for half an hour before dinner, and then it's off to bed. The weekends are my time with them, but also for myself, so it is tough to find the balance. Last week, I helped my sisters with the laundry. It's a grueling chore - they wash everything by hand, and scrub so hard the water makes a squelching noise through their fingers. I tried, but couldn't do it, so I rinsed and wrung out the clothes instead. They dry quickly in the sun, and then are ironed. I'm not sure exactly why they do this, but apparantly there are some flies that will lay eggs on damp clothing, which could hatch into larvae that burrow under the skin, but ironing kills them, which is enough to make me buy an ironing board! It's an old-style iron, though. They fill the iron shell with hot coals from the brazier, which they use also for heating water and other things. I'll have to try it sometime. Meanwhile, things are going well here. I am very busy! This Thursday our sites will be announced. It is exciting! I can't wait to find out where I will be for the next two years...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun and learning a lot. I look forward to hearing all about your continuing adventures and your new home for the next two years. If there were a way to mail you some country music, i would.
Amy

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are happy, but I miss you so much!!!! This semester is beating me. And what happened to your ipod I thought you were taking?

Maman said...

Your voice! I got to hear your voice on your new cell phone - was it Monday night? Am not sure as it was after midnight but I think it was 7AM for you and you were getting ready for a day of classes and more adventures. Your voice is beautiful.