Sunday, October 14, 2007

Onions, chickens, and a red dress

Yesterday was Korite, the official end of Ramadan. I woke up fairly early (which is not unusual, now; what is very difficult is staying awake past 10pm! I feel like a huge loser, but I am so sleepy by 9:30 even, that all I want to do is go to bed. The family stays up much later, but they don't usually do anything like have long conversations, dance, or watch movies, and I can't bring myself to stay awake when all we are doing is sitting or lying around outside. It's something to work on.) so I could help prepare the meal. Clearly one of the highlights of Korite is lunch, which nobody has enjoyed for a month. In the morning, after breakfast, the men and little boys got into their fancy clothes and went to the mosque. The streets outside were full of these male groups in their colorful outfits. Meanwhile, I helped my host mother and sisters peel a mountain of onions and garlic cloves, which we later diced and made into a delicious sauce. My hands still smell slightly oniony, even though we washed with vinegar afterwards. After returning from prayer, two of my host brothers went out and came back with three or four live chickens, held by the wings. They made a huge racket, squawking and screeching, that was really horrible to hear. It didn't last too long, though, as they were taken behind the house and came back headless in a bucket. Later, my brother plucked them and handed them over to a sister, who fried them up in spices and oil. Lunch was couscous (Moroccan style, my preferance), with a thick onion sauce and plenty of chicken. Theoretically, during Korite people dress in beautiful clothes and go visit neighbors. This did happen, but not until late (though maybe it happens in the evening anyway, I'm not sure) because right after lunch a sudden rainstorm began. There was thunder and a veritable monsoon. Our courtyard began to fill with water, and lakes formed on the sides of the street. It poured like this for a long time, drenching everything not under cover, and flooding the dirt-floored compound. Luckily, nothing important got wet, but by the time it was over everything else was thoroughly soaked. This means I won't be watering my little garden plot this weekend! It was speculated to limit the visitors for Korite, as well, so I took a nap. When I got up, someone has swept the water from the courtyard and the puddles didn't look too bad, so a few of us changed into our outfits. My host sister, who is a tailor, made mine. It is a two-piece dress of rust-colored bazane, with a black lace trim. I think it's very pretty! After squeezing into my clothes (they're a tight fit, as is the style) I went out with my eldest host brother and his girlfriend to a friend's house, where we sat and chatted in an extremely comfortable living room while enjoying cups of monkey bread juice - guy - the fruit of the baobad tree. It's delicious stuff, almost like a smoothie. Yesterday I also tried two kinds of millet porriage, both sweetened, one with lait caille (like a thin yogurt) and the other stewed with peanuts and pieces of fruit. Both are tasty, but there was so much food, I couldn't possibly fit it all in! We definitely eat a lot here. I wonder how that will change when I get to the village. Anyway, that was my rainy Korite. It was good, though. And now that Ramadan is over, I will finally start to learn what Senegalese life is like the other eleven months of the year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should take a picture of the pretty thing your sister made you!!! I would love to see it :)