Friday, October 12, 2007

Sama Willas

Today we were finally given our site announcements! I am headed to a village of about 700 people called Keur Ali Gueye, in the Kaolack region. As far as I can tell, I will be 7km from the nearest sizeable town (one you can find on a map of Senegal) called Nioro du Rip. I am very excited! It feels so good to finally know where I will be living for the next two years. Life in a small village will take some adjusting - even less privacy, no electricity, long walks to the market - but I am prepared to figure those things out they come. Needless to say, there will be fewer blog postings once I'm at site! That won't be for another month, though. In the meantime, we are still training hard in Thies. Tonight most people are going out to a restaurant to celebrate our new sites. I'll be there!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Well, maybe you can bike the 7 miles if you still have a bicycle...Less foot traffic I'm sure ;)

Maman said...

What does 'Sama Willas' mean? I found your town on the map! Very close to The Gambia so you might grab some English beer/fish-chips there? It's been one month now-amazing. You are the bravest most big-hearted girl. ARB,Sr.and Doll would be proud to know their great grandaughter became a farmer's aide. Autumn here now. Lovely.Haven't turned heat on yet so Paulina is freezing:) Love, Love

Anonymous said...

So, I guess I didn't have enough postage on my first letter... hehe. But I'll just send it with my next letter. Thats great to hear where you are going in a month! I miss ya but I know you will be doing great things! Good luck with the language!!! I know you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Abigail! Its amazing to read your blog, this is only the second time I've had internet access since I've been in Togo, and I could only read up to the post about your post (hehe) but so far it sounds like even though we're in different countries, our experiences are remarkably similar! I miss you so much and I'm so proud of you, I can't wait to come visit! I know my post too, but for safety and security purposes, I'm not going to say the village name. But I'm 20 minutes outside of Kara the city in the Kara region of Northern Togo, so hotter, drier heat. Kara is notably beautiful, in this notably beautiful country, so I'm lucky! I'll have internet access whenever I come into Kara the city, the regional capitol, where I am now, so yay! Just got back from post visit, and absolutely loved it! Okay, gotta go, but hope to hear from you and du courage! Love you soooo much!