Sunday, November 4, 2007

Naatango = counterpart

By popular demand, here is a photo of me in my red outfit, dancing (all alone, don't I look cool?) at the tam-tam. I have to say, I really love reading everybody's comments and stories from home. It's inspiring to be writing for such an appreciative audience! For those writing me letters and/or sending packages, I'll post my new address as soon as I have it, which may be awhile, as this is my last weekend in Internet-available Thies. But I'll do my best. Now, onto the blog post!
This week was probably the most stressful so far, as our counterparts came from all over the country to meet us and have a two-day Peace Corps crash course. My two naatangos from Keur Ali Gueye arrived last Wednesday afternoon, and left just yesterday morning. That meant two and a half days of discussions in broken Wolof, awkward pauses, and trying to make sense of the people I'm going to move in with next week. Actually, I'm very lucky. My counterparts are extremely motivated and, as I am the fourth Volunteer going to my site, they kind of know how Americans work. However, with that experience comes high expectations, which I hope I can meet. They were friendly, though, and sound eager to help me integrate into the community, so though it was a little nerve-wracking I am excited to be heading there soon. It's hard to believe training is almost over! Providing I pass all my tests, the swearing-in ceremony will be held this Friday in Dakar. Apparently it is played on nationwide television. Yay. But I bought some pretty fabric and gave it to my sister the tailor, so I should at least look fabulous! It's going to be difficult not to spend all my living allowance on new clothes, because the fabric here is so beautiful, and the outfits are amazing. Hopefully in a village setting the temptation to buy new clothes will be easier to resist. Meanwhile, I am really enjoying being a homebody in Thies. My sister and I have the routine of cooking dinner together every night, and she gave me recipes for some of my favorite dishes. I'm going to miss this family! They really welcomed me and made me feel a part of their home. At least I will be able to visit in February, when we come back to Thies for in-service training. There are lots of things about this little city that I will miss. In just a few days, I'm off to the mysterious unknown! But, I have some good books, just barely enough Wolof, and a great sun-hat, so I'm ready for anything.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you, lady!!! You're going to pass all your tests and everyone's going to watch you get sworn in and it's going to be AWESOME. :) I will write you a letter as soon as you post your new address; I have many things to tell you.

Miss you bunches. Loves, ~Liz~

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun!!! Hopefully my letter gets to you before you head off to your new home!!!
Miss ya love!!! Robin

Mack said...

Hi there - your mom gave me your blog address and I see that I am your only subscriber with bloglines! I hope that others will follow and you will have a lot of readers.
I so enjoy reading about what's going on in Senegal. I will be praying for your transition and everything as you move forward.
Thanks Abby,
Ruthanne McPhaden
(Seattle)

Anonymous said...

God speed from the ATL. Todd opened another resteraun but you were te topic of conversatio. We hope you are well, and we want you to let us know what we can do for you ( Christmas is coming) let us know. I am attaching my email address in that I am taking the lead (not much of a blogger) all our best SBR.
stephenrushing@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

You should write your new address in the next letter you send me. I can send it to people too if you don't get to internet anytime soon. I am so excited for you to get to your village, that should be amazing. Miss you lots!
~Heather

Maman said...

I sent lettre #6 off. Are you getting them? How beautiful you look in your red outfit dancing away with such joy! It's as if we are right there with you laughing and smiling and clapping along with the others in the photo.Such a gem you are-in any culture,in any crowd.They are so lucky to have you.I will think of you as you take the PC Oath on Friday-you honor the USA as you give your time and talents to another country.I am proud to be your parent.We sit in total respect and awe of you....

Maman said...

Here is what Abigail swore today: "I do solemnly swear or affirm that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, domestic and foreign, that I take this obligation freely and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps by working with the people of Senegal as partners in friendship and in peace."