Saturday, September 29, 2007

Training

(Drying laundry at the training center....scenic, isn't it?)

We finally finished our first week of training, and it is a grueling schedule. We start classes at 8a.m., but I try to be there by 7:30 to eat breakfast (which is tea/nescafe/hot chocolate, and bread. WAY too much rahter nasty white bread.) and settle in before we get into the grind. Wolof lessons are tough - it's been forever since I learned the basics of a language, and I'd forgotten how much I disliked it. But, all things considered, it is going well. I can now greet people on the street: "Naga def? Naka waa ker nga? Alhamdullilah!" and that's about the extent of my language skills. We are learning to make basic sentances now, which I try to practice with the family, but that is slow going. However, I am optimistic that I will meet the minimum language requirement for the Peace Corps. Meanwhile, we are also learning come useful cross-cultural tidbits, which we are trying to apply in daily life. This is easier said than done, I find, but I am determined to try! Eating etiquette is fairly straightforward: don't take all the vegetebles, don't reach across the bowl into someone else's area, don't sprawl so nobody else can fit, and don't ever use your left hand! Right hand only. For pretty much everything. Which at least is consistant! I need to work on paying more attention to which hand people are using, though, and really concentrate on which one I offer; at home, whichever hand is convenient is fine, but here using your left hand could be considered very rude. I have more trouble with the rules governing people's interactions. They all still feel awkard to me, and I'm never quite sure when I should wander away from people I've greeted, or whether they are still including me in the mostly-unintelligable conversation...my family is great about this, and they help me a lot, but on the street it gets confusing. Speaking of streets, the Peace Corps gave us our bikes this week. I never liked biking at home, especially not on the street, and here I enjoy it even less! I always feel like I'm risking my life whenever I swing onto that bike, and especially when riding down the road, and unsure of what the many other vehicles are planning to do. It really is the most practical way to get from my home to the training center, though, so I will figure it out. This afternoon I walked home instead, though, and that was nice. A lot hotter, and it took awhile longer, but I felt signifigantly less terrified. So I may walk a few days a week from now on. This first week we focused on learning the basics of Wolof (many different pronouns to keep straight!) as well as some general information about Senegal's government and ecology, and a basic overview of what we Sustainable Agriculture volonteers will be doing. Nothing very hands-on yet, but hopefully soon we will get to start our own garden plots and learn some other useful activities to prepare us for work in the field. And in two weeks, we'll finally have our site assignments! It will feel good to know where I'll be going, and I am impatient to find out, as is everyone else. But there is plenty to occupy us in the meantime! No cell phone yet, though I will try to get one soon. But I have loved both letters I got - thank you Heather and Arwen!! People should write me more letters. This was kind of a boring blog post; there is lots to say, but as to my activities I spend ten hours a day in training, which leaves time only really for geting home, breaking the fast, relaxing for a bit, watching T.V., eating dinner, and then turning in while everybody else stays up until I-don't-know-how-late. So that's my life for now. In a nutshell, it's good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abby sounds so amazing! Minus the intensive language training. You should get a letter from me next week hopefully. Miss ya!

Melinda said...

Abby, the only reason you hated riding your bike is because you forgot and then had to relearn! I think you psych yourself out; if you can stay on a horse, you can stay on a bike (they're a lot less unpredictable)

It's a good thing you're not left handed! The braids look awesome btw.

Anonymous said...

I ahve had some time to read your post. Those of us who ha the opportunity visit with you over some wine and beer are excited for you and thej fact that we too will be able to tae part in you extrordinary adventure. We want to make sure that you have what so if there is somethign that we can contribute to the cause let us know. We ahve all discussed and want to be the the big PX. keep the post coming and know how impressing you are to all f us. BTW there aint no hot like Atlanta hot. God Bless. The Rushing Clan

Anonymous said...

Abby it sounds like you are having an amazing time. It must be incredible to be able to do something that is different from what you are used too. I don't know how I would deal with the language problem. Languages were never my strong suite. I look forward to hearing much more from you.
-Adam

Unknown said...

Letter's on it's way!! Stupid me forgot to ask for airmail, so it'll take forever, but it's coming. Maybe next week... I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, and miss you bunches. Hugs.

Maman said...

Love the pictures. Please take more and poste! Melinda is right about the horse:bike. Listen to her! But walking probably is safer. And you know how we like safety :) PEF takes SAT this w/e, JBF is working the elections, DWF keeps waiting for his letter response from Reggie Fils-Aime, Paulina works hard,Irish sleeps,Dad/moi go to a lecture Sat. on "What'sd Love Got To Do With It?" - thank you TIna Turner...

Maman said...

RHS open house last night. Did you know that Mme. Hilliard served in the PC in Senegal?! Same as you, loved French,finished college, went to Senegal, assigned the job of administrateur sanitaire (whatever that is). Then Haiti,then Washington,DC,then Seattle-marriage-child,then French teacher. Hoping all is well. I'm learning that you can usually blog on Sat/Sun so am anxious for the next! All well here. We miss you.