Friday, September 14, 2007

Senegal

Well, I am here in Senegal! Things are good so far. I am at an Internet cafe in Thies, not far from our training center. We had a two-day staging in Atlanta, where I visted with family and had a truly amazing dinner, provided by my restauranteur cousin. Then, an intermineably long flight (it wa only 9 hours, but it felt much longer) and then a drive over bumpy roads from Dakar to Thies (pronounced "Chess") in the rising dawn. I was exhausted, but we got right to work with training and meeting people. However, I went to bed at 5:30 and I don't regret it! Twelve hours of sleep can be really refreshing, so today I think I'll try to make a normal schedule. Many things are different here, but oddly I don't feel grossly out of place. It's not what I'm used to, true, but nor is it totally alien. I think I'll be able to fit in here eventually, in my own way. The training center is very comfortable, and it's nice to have class and other opportunities to get to talk with the other trainees. It is a very diverse group, which I appreciate! We eat lunch sitting around a huge bowl that accomodates about five people at a time. We all dig in with a spoon, and so far the food has been delicious: a base of rice with meat and vegetable sauce. No doubt all these things will change when we start service, but for the moment this is enough to get used to! The sun sets early here, around seven in the evening, which is therefore "nightttime" and we have to be back at the Center. So, a short post for now. But I am feeling very happy to be here! This was the right decision to make, I think. Write me letters!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abigail! I'm so excited for you. Isn't Africa just amazing?! I can't wait to visit you! I'm so proud that you're doing this. I know I'm doing it too, but you've never been to Africa before! I guess I don't know French and you do, but... its hard in different ways I expect. Anyway, send me an e-mail when you can, or better yet, air mail! I'm hectic like you were at this time... LOVE YOU! Arwen

Maman said...

You are safely there! Hooray! Please be careful about eating all from the same bowl....I know...I know. But I AM the parent after all. And remember, the gods are Not crazy. There is One who is looking after you, in particular. How we will miss you.