Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lucy Lays an Egg

Perhaps the highlight of my week is that Lucy the red hen is finally laying! No eggs from Gertrude yet, but two days in a row now Lucy has hidden a tiny, pointy-topped cream-colored egg somewhere in my backyard. If only it were pink I could pretend I was hunting for Easter eggs. But as it is, I cooked both those up and they were delicious! This was after showing them to the family, who refused to believe me when I claimed that female chickens will lay just fine without a rooster. I said in the USA there are whole yards full of only hens, which lay just fine, but they shook their heads and said, "Oh no, Senegalese hens are different! They need a rooster!" In fact, as we confirmed this week, they do not need a rooster. But baby chicks are so cute I might buy one anyway.
In other news, the REALLY hot season has set in. Everyone is miserable in the afternoons, and I copy everyone's example by spending all day sprawled out to try and escape the heat.

2 comments:

Maman said...

Kate Howe says this is very good news - and that the word is a solid layer should give you one per day once producing - although severe heat will delay this rhythm. I can taste those omelettes even now. Aah.If you could only teach the wives to cook omelettes; now wouldn't that be the hugest accomplishment! I love listening to the hen coop sounds from behind our house - soothing, natural, friendly, wonderful. You must be hearing that too now.

Kate said...

Dear Abigail, I have so enjoyed following your adventures through your blog. But I did feel compelled to protest when first you described your chickens in less than flattering terms. Clearly, time has done my job for me as you are learning that despite having very primitive brains, they do have well developed personalities. I am curious who has made herself boss in your group. Often it seems she who is smallest wields the greatest power. Kudos too for taking up the universal task of enlightening the populus that many female creatures ovulate w/o benefit of a male...I have had to explain this phenom many, many times when explaining the miracle of rooster-less egg production. On another note, I would convey my parents' delight upon receiving the darling latrine-themed thank you note. Well done all round. cheerio, Kate, on behalf of Mrs. Schwartz, Babs, Grey-cheeks and Muriel.