Monday, April 27, 2009

Hot

The hot season has arrived. It's miserable in the afternoons, when even the wind is hot, like a blow-drier. Last wednesday I got caught in a dust genii while on my bike, a mini-tornado of hot, dusty wind. Fun! Not much village news to report. I seeded my pepiniere, but it has not yet sprouted. Just today, after a series of delays, I finally got to start contacting principals for this year's Michelle Sylvester Scholarship, for middle school girls. It went really well last year, and was both fun and rewarding, so I'm looking forward to meeting 2009's candidates. Yesterday I finally brought out some coloring book pages I've had stashed in my hut for months, dug out my bag of crayons, and hosted a mildly chaotic colorng session on my mat beneath the shade of a couple of neem trees. The kids were all screaming and coloring, having a general good time. And today I saw one drawing taped onto the wall of one little boy's mom's bedroom, which was cute. Finally, too, I brought my tape over to the school so that I myself could tape up the world maps which have been sitting there since Mom's visit. Now, at last, kids can study geography properly! Otherwise, not much to report. It's just HOT.

2 comments:

Maman said...

Who is Michele Sylvester? Any more eggs laid? Keep on keeping on dear one. Who wants to be cold anyway.

Anonymous said...

I thought we put the maps up in January when I was there. What happened? Haha our hot season is over. I actually kind of miss it its cold. But its raining so the well isnt dry as much so thats good. I cant wait til its really raining so I dont have to worry about water at all!