Monday, August 4, 2008

Contrast

Just for a bit of perspective: a photo of the same classic baobab tree,
in the rainy season and the dry.



Pretty crazy, huh? A little bit of water really awakens everything here! I've spent the last few days in the village working. Yesterday morning I bent over at the waist for three hours, weeding a peanut field. It was backbreaking work, and I am SO much slower than the local children, who toil seemingly tirelessly and thoroughly, though I'm sure their backs must ache just as much as mine. The peanuts are looking great now, sprouting lovely little yellow flowers, like mini snapdragons. Who knew peanuts looked like that? The day before yesterday my host father killed a big male duck, so I spent the morning plucking and cleaning it for lunch. If you'd asked me a year ago whether I could see myself ripping out feathers from a decapitated duck, moistened with hot water to loosen the follicles, and would be bloodying my hands holding it to be chopped into bowl-sized pieces, and savoring the taste of rich organ meat, I would been unable to imagine myself doing it. But now, that's a special event in my life. And duck for lunch makes for one happy family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that doesn't happen everyday. wish you all the best.

Melinda said...

Holy run-on sentence batman! I'm impressed by the duck feat, as I'm hard pressed to imagine myself doing that either.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. I looks like a completely different country. It makes me want to come back and see the changes. It would be odd to see the men working. I never would have imagined you doing many of the things you have to do in Africa back when you were in Colorado. But after seeing what you do now not much would surprise me.

-adam