Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dakar Again

I'm in Dakar for the first time since WAIST, and it is a whole different view of the capital. Last time I spent all day hanging out with Volunteers on the softball field. This time, I've had to negotiate the city on my own getting to and from various meetings and accomplishing the chores that can only really be done in Dakar. On Monday I went to the American library for training related to the bookmobile. There are a lot of really good ideas, but we're still waiting on more books, a vehicle, and of course funding. But it's definitely moving along and I'm really excited to see it progress. Being here again, in the big city, is incredibly refreshing. I can see how one might be seduced by Dakar. It is an energetic city, growing by the minute: new roads, streetlights, resuaturants of every kind, elegant people. In some ways Dakar is very westernized, but still retains its unique Senegalese flavor in the colorfully-painted, overpacked "car rapides" cruising to all corners of the city, the street vendors of every ilk, and the occasional herd of sheep or cows on the roadside. Dakar is loud and dirty, exciting, full of possibility. I'm taking advantage of my time here to eat many pasteries and chwarma sandwiches, and to dress well. I cannot say how refreshing it is not to be a spectacle! I'm so used to shouts of "Toubab!" from those in villages and small towns, even Kaolack, but here in Dakar I am one of many, and it feels wonderful to be anonymous again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

glad you're still having fun and enjoying the big city. I'm still working on writing you another letter, but it will have pictures this time. Take good care of heather and adam while they are visiting

Maman said...

Hello Heather and Adam !! Thank you for being such good friends. My heart goes out to you. How thrilling for Abigail to be able to show her new life to 2 who know her so well. You are the BEST. Please tell me all about it as you go. Betsy