Friday, August 7, 2009

Gerte tella nor

At last, full rainy season again! The bean seed I gave out is all seeded and sprouted, and so is the rice, corn, and soprghum. I didn't hand out any millet seed or peanut, but those are growing too, and looking beautiful. The millet is dark green and lush, while some of the early-ripening peanut varieties ("gerte tella nor") are already showing their charming yellow flowers. In my backyard I have intercropped two rows of corn and beans, and out behind my fence I tried to create a thick-mulched no-till garden of beans and bissap, with an intensive nebedaye plot. But after spending an entire morning weeding, thinning, and successfully making the garden look wonderful, I went out that afternoon and returned to find....no leaves on my bissap. They had been eaten by goats. I was so angry! But futily so, because there is nothing to be done. Little goats can get through even the barbed wire fence that is around my field, and the bissap was just too tempting for them. My only hope is that it will recover fast enough that the next time they come around, it will be big enough to get not entirely defoliated. Bah! Meanwhile I am enjoying the return to field labor. It's not hard for me, since I can take a break whenever I want, but people work all morning, and oftentimes all afternoon again, bent over at the waist, weeding up and down rows of peanut. I like to weed a row or two nd then walk for a bit to stretch out my back. It is physically demanding work. People who grow up and work in a village like mine get very strong, very young. Not like me! But I love the shock of a cold rain every other day or so, and the touch of warm soil beneath my bare soles as I do my little share of fieldwork.

No comments: