Friday, April 11, 2008

Work!



A common sight out my back door: herds of cows strolling across the dusty fields.

This week, finally, I have some work progress to report! On Monday a university student came to stay with me for a week. She's doing an exchange program in Dakar, and part of their curriculum is a visit to a village for several days, to experience life there. It was really fun to have a guest, though this involved a lot of Wolof translating. We brought a couple chickens home from the louma and the family was ecstatic. "Cere" with chicken broth is pretty tasty! She had an untypical village experience, though, because I was very busy this past week. On Monday evening I had a brief meeting with the president of the communaute rurale, who explained to me that there is a project in place to bring running water to villages in my area before the end of 2008. I hope that happens! Having a robinet would make life a lot easier for everyone, especially the women, who spend a lot of time hauling water to and from the well every day. Also, I seeded my pepiniere a couple days ago. It's a challenge to keep everything damp in this heat, but I made a shade structure with an old mosquito net and I water often, so hopefully things should sprout soon. I planted a lot of papayas because they supposedly like gray water, and hence can be placed in the bath area of compounds where they grow well. I also have a couple mangos, and a variety of shade trees and other various species. It's a real hodge-podge, but the real reason I have it is to encourage people to build their own pepinieres to plant what they want. Meanwhile the girls' scholarship is keeping me busy, biking back and forth to the two towns to speak with teachers and principals, filling out paperwork, etc. I still have several steps to go before the scholarship applications can be turned in, so the next few weeks should be pretty busy as well. It feels good! Also I've agreed to help start a bookmobile project with an NGO based in Kaolack, so I have plenty of work ahead to get that rolling. And to fill my free time, there's still peanuts in the afternoons!

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Work! See ya in the Ag sum in a few weeks.

John Fay said...

Wow, sounds like things are finally starting to take off around there. That's great sis. Glad to hear that you're keeping yourself busy. Hope you got my letter from a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to contact you pretty soon. Great to get to read your blogs. God's peace Sister. John.

andando said...

I found your blog through some kind of link to a link to a link... and have enjoyed reading it. We have been travelling to Senegal for over ten years and have lots of connections there. We were jus t there at the end of March working in a village near Kaolack called Keur Soce.
We have a fair trade store in Corvallis, Oregon and have just started a micro lending program in the Diourbel area.
Would love to correspond with you and perhaps meet on our next trip to Senegal in October. We have a website www.andando.org, which is pretty out of date... We're going to wbe working on it in the next few months, but it will give you an idea.
Blessings, Fiona Kiker

BangCurious said...

hi! I adore your blog. I am going to Senegal soon to work with an NGO. I've been looking up as many culturally informative sites as possible. Your first blog on packing bewilders me! I can only take 40 pounds and I hadn't even thought of all the things you listed! Think you could give me any tips (essentials, clothes, shoes..) to help me pack only things I'll use?
-Tala