Wednesday, February 20, 2008

On the road again

I'm back in Kaolack after a heinously cramped, four-or-five hour sept-place ride from Dakar. But, it is very good to be back where I know the ropes, and I feel comfortable in my (rather disgusting, but familiar) surroundings. I just had a surprisingly quick and painless trip to the market, where I picked up gifts for my Wolof family: new knives and powdered milk for the moms, tea and sugar for the dad, and new spoons, pens and notebooks for the kids. I also grabbed a petit pagne for myself. These are sheer pieces of fabric that go under the normal pagne - wrap skirts - of a complet. When women dance, they whip open the two flaps of the pagne, to reveal whatever they're wearing underneath, be it panties, a petit pagne, or nothing. I'm excited for the next dancing event, where I'll spread my skirts to flash the petit pagne. It will definitely be surprising and will make them laugh. If nothing else, laughter is something I feel comfortable sharing anywhere in the world. But first I must to the post office, and the bank, then I'll pick up some tasty cocunt beignets before hopping in a route taxi home. Only 150cfa, and if you're lucky you won't be sitting on some guy's lap in the front!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

nice blogging! keep it up! I like reading about the dancing.... cracked me up

Anonymous said...

i dont think thats very culturally appropriate. of course i live in togo and senegal is a different world. flash your petites if you want.