Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Best Dance Party in Senegal

Yesterday I went to visit my friend's site in Koungel, a mid-sized town halfway between Kaolack and Tambacounda. He's starting up a girls' group, and as a commencement celebration they had a sabaar - a drumming and dance party. The young girls of the club were all wearing blue-and-white, matching complets, and we, as the token Americans, got choice seats with a full view of the dance floor. Unlike many so-called dances I've been to so far in Senegal, this one was awesome! The girls took off dancing right away, without any of the awkward, embarassed waiting that so often accompanies the beginning of dances on every continent. Their dancing is amazing. I'll describe it, but that really wouldn't do it justice. The girls hike up their skirts to their hips so they can kick, stomp and leap with their legs high in the air, barefoot and beautiful. Sometimes they spin suddenly in time with the drumming (at this party, there was in fact a discernable rhythm, which is not often the case) and usually to end their performance they'll execute - with flair! - a series of staccato hip thrusts. After awhile, the older women got into it too, and really showed off their moves. People wore everything from traditional complets, to tee-shirts and tight jeans. We were dragged from our seats, though not very reluctantly in my case, to do a few dances as well, to much laughter and applause. After dark (there was a break for dinner) we recommenced the party in earnest. The floor was never still now that night had removed all the daytime's shyness, and women of all ages danced their hearts out. Girls here do seem to have more fun. Occasionally one of the little boys would bust a move, and once or twice a grown man took the floor. They can dance - and very well! - but it seems for the most part they prefer to watch. And play the drums. The band was great. It was such a wild, energetic night! We danced until nearly midnight before stumbling off to bed, everyone giddy with all the fun we'd had. Without question that was the best dance party I've ever seen in Senegal so far.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH, that sounds like so much fun!!!

Maman said...

I found it on the map!Love to be able to do that. Pictures?? Pat Opalka turned 50 last night. Big fun. All ask about you. And are in awe of this extra-ordinary thing you've chosen to do. PEF finished RHS swimming career yesterday. Jumped out of the pool & with his best 'army' voice declared himself Proud to be a Roughrider (like TR-Rex). Exams over for both-hooray. Sleeping it off today. Don't give up on Saul/Paul. He thought thru lots of stuff and made more sense of things I always thot. Good one-liners: "I thank my God every time I remember you....."

Mack said...

That dance sounds like more than I can really imagine Abigail. I am so glad I get to read your blog. I look forward to your updates!

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

Buen comienzo