Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas break

Christmas in Popenguine was lovely. It is such a treat to sit on the shore, listening to the waves rumbling against the sand. And church bells mingling with the Muslim call to prayer. My idea of a good time nowadays is a glass of wine and stuffing myself with food, none of which are rice! So I ate a lot, and it was fabulous. Coming to the regional house is an opportunity to be American for a few days, to cook my own meals exactly how I want, to speak English with people who understand the ideas I'm trying to express, to watch a movie or two, and detox. As well as go to the bank, the post office, the grocery store, the market, and a variety of other big-city chores that can only be accomplished away from my tiny village. Also, the full-length mirror provides the opportunity for a "state-of-the-union" look at myself. I look okay, though signifigantly less clean than I was back home on a regular basis. But it's funny, because I have only a compact mirror in my hut, so I sometimes go days without taking a real look at myself. We admire our appearance multiple times a day back home, and here it ceases to matter. Tomorrow morning I head back home. While it's nice to get away sometimes, I know I'm in a good site, because whenever I approach my village after a short time away I can't help but smile, and I quicken my pace when I see the little hat-shaped thatched roofs peeking out from behind the brushy trees. So I'm looking forward to that, but not the ride to Nioro. I try to take a 7-place taxi which gets me there faster than the mini-busses, though still it is never comfortable to be crammed into a car with six other passengers (plus a driver) dodging potholes and occasionally off-roading on the way to the garage. A run-of-the-mill public transportation experience!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Abigail! I just read all of your blog in one sitting and it was amazing! Also, it made me hungry. I will definitely send you something in the mail and I will be interested to see how long it takes to get there! Let me know if there is anything you would like that is practical to send, or if there is anything I should avoid, international mail and security being what they are? We missed you at the troop gathering, everyone is doing such interesting things now that we have grown up! Glad to see you still like the electric slide, though. Happy new year!

Amanda said...

Abigail! Your blog is AWESOME. I have been checking up on it the whole time you've been there! It sounds like such a fabulous experience, and it is SO COOL to hear about. It's amazing to me what you're doing, and how well you're adapting! I hope you had a great Christmas, and I can't wait to hear more!

(PS it's Amanda from IES Paris :))

Anonymous said...

I too have the mirror problem. When I do look, I am surprised to see myself. Its strange, isn't it, that we're still the same? I miss you and want to start planning our trips soon. Love, Arwen

Maman said...

Soon Soon - there should be another bolg entry. Can' wait. And I can Text you now - such a break thru! But must learn to do on my own cell ph. not Paulina's. We are wll. It is Jan-u-hairy at John's House so all are growing beards. His is like Jeremiah Johnson. Patrick almost finished w/ Eagle Scout - he has until 1.29.08 (18th b'day) and Dana lets me tell him I love him now - progress :) How we miss you. Much love

Maman said...

My name is reggie. Im about kicking ass. Im about taking names. And where about making games.